Curious about how Homey uses data?
For the purpose of this Policy, “Personal Information” means any information relating to an identified or identifiable individual.
1.What Personal Information Do We Collect About You?
Where applicable, we indicate whether and why you must provide us with your Personal Information, as well as the consequences of failing to do so. If you do not provide Personal Information when requested, you may not be able to benefit from our Services if that information is necessary to provide you with them or if we are legally required to collect it. We may collect Personal Information about you directly from you and from third parties, as well as automatically through your use of our Services.
INFORMATION WE COLLECT DIRECTLY FROM YOU.
- Registration and check-in. When you register with us through the Services or become a Homey member through the Services (“Member”) to book an accommodation at a Homey unit (“Accommodation”), we will ask you for certain Personal Information including your name, phone number, email address, home postal address, address of submitted property, password, date of birth, and booking information. We will also ask for your email address and password when you register as a Homey service partner via our Apps. You may be asked to provide a picture and ID for identity verification purposes at registration or check-in. Your payment related information, such as credit card number or billing information, is collected by our third party payment processor on our behalf.
- Administration and personalization of your Homey Account profile. We may collect any Personal Information you provide to us as part of the administration and personalization of your Homey account (“Homey Account”) profile (e.g., gender, zip code and individual preferences or demographic information). You may voluntarily provide us with information about yourself so that we can personalize your stays with us (e.g., the temperature you prefer, whether or not you have children, whether or not you need a crib, etc.).
- Communications. If you contact us directly (e.g., via email, SMS, phone call, in-app messaging), we will collect your name, contact details, the content, date and time of your message and any attachments thereto, and other information you may directly provide to us. You may choose to submit your email address and phone number on our Site to receive our updates. You may also provide us with your reviews of our Services or complete surveys regarding our Services.
- Recruitment. If you apply for a job via the “Careers” page on the Site, we will collect your name, contact details, email, phone number and information in your resume or curriculum vitae. We will also ask you to provide a link to your full LinkedIn profile. You may voluntarily share with us also your Twitter, GitHub or portfolio URLs or links to other websites, your current workplace, and any other information you want to share with us.
INFORMATION WE COLLECT FROM YOUR INTERACTIONS WITH US.
Customer service. If you reach out to us with inquiries or requests, we will keep a record of how your inquiry or request was handled.
INFORMATION WE COLLECT AUTOMATICALLY.
- Online usage data. We may automatically collect the following information about your use of our Services through cookies, web beacons, and similar technologies: your domain name; your browser type; operating system type, name, and version; page views; links you click; your IP address; location information; the length of time you visit or use our Services; referring URL; access date and time; mobile device ID; language information; device name and model; and other information about your activities within the Services and communications that we send you. Please see the section “Cookies and Other Tracking Mechanisms” below for more information. Where required under applicable law, we will only perform such data collection with your consent.
- Property usage data. We automatically collect your Homey stay history (e.g., to identify a return guest). We may also automatically collect information regarding the use of an Accommodation (e.g., when a door was unlocked). We also register noise levels via a noise detection system installed in Accommodations (which only registers decibel levels, not conversations). Where required under applicable law, we will only collect property usage data with your consent.
INFORMATION WE COLLECT FROM THIRD PARTIES.
- Third party accounts. We may obtain Personal Information about you from third party social networking services (“SNS”), such as Facebook, Google and LinkedIn, to link your Homey Account with third party accounts (“Third Party Account”) by either: (i) providing your Third Party Account login information to Homey through the Service; or (ii) allowing Homey to access your Third Party Account, as is permitted under the applicable terms and conditions that govern your use of each Third Party Account. We may receive from such third parties the following types of Personal Information:
- Facebook: ID, cover photo, email, first name, last name, age range, link, gender, location, picture, time zone, date of last update, user verification.
- Google: Google ID, name, profile URL, email address.
- LinkedIn: basic profile, email address.
- Third party travel services. We may receive your booking information via our partners (e.g., Booking.com, Expedia, Airbnb), such as your name, email address, phone number, information available in your user account with a third party travel service and your Homey stay information (e.g., information on the Homey unit you are staying in).
- Background checks. We may engage with a vendor to verify your criminal history. We may receive your name, date of birth, address and whether or not you passed the check. Our vendor will use county, state and federal criminal databases to run the checks.
- Vendor and partner relationships. We receive Personal Information of employees and other individuals who are contact persons at our partners and vendors, such as contact details and other information relevant to the particular business relationship.
2.How We Use Your Personal Information
We use your Personal Information for the following purposes:
- To operate, provide, and maintain our Services, to communicate with you about our Services, to respond to your inquiries, to fulfill our contract with you, to complete your transactions, and for other customer service purposes.
We may run a criminal background check on behalf of landlords or property managers who require it for Accommodations, to the extent permitted under applicable law.
- To link your Homey Account with Third Party Accounts to add information from Third Party Accounts to your Homey Account and Homey Account profile page. Depending on the Third Party Accounts you choose and subject to the privacy settings that you have set in such Third Party Accounts, you understand that by granting us access to the Third Party Accounts, we will access, make available and store (if applicable and as permitted by the SNS and authorized by you) the information in your Third Party Accounts so that it is available on and through your Homey Account on the Site and Service.:
- To tailor the content and information that we may send or display to you, and to otherwise personalize your experiences while using our Services, including personalizing your Homey Account profile and identifying you as a return guest to provide products or services to you according to your preferences or restrictions (e.g., by turning on the air conditioner or filling the refrigerator according to your preferences). We may also tailor our Services and communications on the basis of your Site browsing history. Where required under applicable law, we will only use your Personal Information for such purposes with your consent.
- To contact you with newsletters, marketing or promotional materials and other information that may be of interest to you relating to Homey or its partners, via email, SMS and phone calls. Where required under applicable law, we will only send you marketing communications with your consent. We also may use the information that we learn about you to assist us in advertising our Services on third party websites.
- For quality assurance purposes.
- To solicit a review from you.
- To better understand how users access and use our Services, both on an aggregated and individualized basis, in order to improve the quality and value of our Services, provide you with a better experience, and develop new Services, and for other research and analytical purposes.
3. When We Use Personal Information About You
If you are located in the European Economic Area (“EEA”), we only process your Personal Information based on a valid legal ground, including when:
- Consent. You have consented to the use of your Personal Information, for example for marketing purposes or to track your online activities via cookies and similar technologies.
- Contract. We need your Personal Information to provide you with our Services, for example for account registration and management or to respond to your inquiries.
- Legal obligation. We have a legal obligation to use your Personal Information, for example to comply with tax and accounting obligations, or anti-terrorism laws.
- Legitimate interest. We or a third party have a legitimate interest in using your Personal Information. In particular, we have a legitimate interest in using your Personal Information for product development and internal analytics purposes, and otherwise to improve the safety, security, and performance of our Services. We only rely on our or a third party’s legitimate interests to process your Personal Information when these interests are not overridden by your rights and interests.
4. How We Share Your Personal Information
We may employ third party companies and individuals to support our Services. We do not sell or otherwise disclose your Personal Information for purpose unrelated to our Services, unless otherwise described in this Policy. We may share your Personal Information under the following circumstances:
- Affiliates. We may disclose the information we collect about you to our affiliates or subsidiaries; however, if we do so, their use and disclosure of your Personal Information will be subject to this Policy.
- Service providers. We may disclose Personal Information we collect about you to third party vendors, service providers, contractors or agents who perform functions on our behalf, including to facilitate our Services, to provide the Services on our behalf, to perform Site-related services (e.g., maintenance services, database management, web analytics, fraud detection services relating to the activity of Homey Users and improvement of the Site’s features), to perform background checks, to send marketing communications, to manage job applications that we receive via the career page on our Site, to aggregate reviews, or to assist us in analyzing how our Site and Services are used. We require these service providers to safeguard the privacy of Personal Information they process on our behalf.
- Third party travel services. When you book an Accommodation via a third-party travel service, we may share your Personal Information with such service in order to manage your booking.
- Landlords and property managers. We may share reports with landlords and property managers regarding the use of their properties, such as cleaning reports. Additionally, we may share guest names and dates of stay at their properties for security purposes (e.g., to keep out individuals who are not guests). For long term rentals, we may share guests’ name, email address, phone number, ID, birthday and address with landlords. If permitted by applicable law, we may also share pass/fail results of background checks that we carry out on their guests based in the United States.
- Advertising and analytics partners. We may share Personal Information about you with third party advertising partners to serve advertisements regarding goods and services that may be of interest to you. We may also share information about the use of our Site and Services with third parties for analytics purposes.
- Business transfers. Homey may sell, transfer or otherwise share some or all of its assets, including your Personal Information, in connection with a merger, acquisition, reorganization or sale of assets or in the event of bankruptcy.
- Compliance with laws and law enforcement; guarantee program. Homey cooperates with government and law enforcement officials (e.g., immigration offices, customs authorities, anti-terrorism authorities) and private parties to enforce and comply with the law. We will disclose your Personal Information to government or law enforcement officials or private parties as we, in our sole discretion, believe necessary or appropriate to respond to claims and legal process (including but not limited to subpoenas), to protect the property and rights of Homey or a third party, to protect the safety of the public or any person, or to prevent or stop activity we may consider to be, or to pose a risk of being, any illegal, unethical or legally actionable activity. We will disclose any information about you to government or law enforcement officials and to our insurance services providers as we, in our sole discretion, believe necessary or appropriate to protect the property and rights of Homey or a third party, to protect the safety of the public or any person, or to prevent or stop activity we may consider to be, or to pose a risk of being, any illegal, unethical or legally actionable activity.
- Testimonials. With your consent we may post your testimonial on the Site along with your name. If you would like your testimonial removed please contact us.
5. Cookies and Other Tracking Mechanisms
- Google. We use Google Analytics cookies and Google Tag Manager to analyze our Services. You can learn about Google’s practices by going to https://policies.google.com/privacy/google-partners/, and opt out of them by downloading the Google Analytics opt-out browser add-on available at https://tools.google.com/dlpage/gaoptout. We also use Google cookies to serve ads based on a Homey User’s prior visits to Homey. You can learn more about these cookies here and disable these cookies via Google’s Ads Settings or Ad Settings for mobile apps.
You can instruct your browser, by changing its options, to stop accepting cookies or to prompt you before accepting a cookie from the websites you visit. If you do not accept cookies, however, you may not be able to use all portions of the Site or all functionality of the Service.
- Web beacons. Our Site may contain electronic images known as Web beacons (sometimes called single-pixel gifs) and are used along with cookies to compile aggregated statistics to analyze how our Site is used and may be used in some of our emails to let us know which emails and links have been opened by recipients. This allows us to gauge the effectiveness of our customer communications and marketing campaigns.
- Log data. When you visit the Site, whether as a Member or a non-registered user just browsing (any of these, a “Homey User”), our servers automatically record information that your browser sends whenever you visit a website (“Log Data”). This Log Data may include information such as your computer’s Internet Protocol (“IP”) address, browser type or the webpage you were visiting before you came to our Site, pages of our Site that you visit, the time spent on those pages, information you search for on our Site, access times and dates, and other statistics. We use this information to monitor and analyze use of the Site and the Service and for the Site’s technical administration, to increase our Site functionality and user-friendliness, and to better tailor our Site to our visitors’ needs.
6. Children’s Privacy
The Site is not directed to individuals under 18. We do not knowingly collect Personal Information from children under 18. If a parent or guardian becomes aware that his or her child has provided us with Personal Information without their consent, he or she should contact us. If we become aware that a child under 18 has provided us with Personal Information, we will delete such information from our files.
7. Links to Other Websites
8. Data Security
Homey is very concerned with safeguarding your Personal Information. When you enter particularly sensitive information (such as a credit card number) on our registration or reservation forms, we encrypt that information using secure socket layer technology (SSL). We follow generally accepted industry standards to protect the Personal Information submitted to us, both during transmission and once we receive it. No method of transmission over the Internet, or method of electronic storage, is 100% secure, however. Therefore, we cannot guarantee its absolute security. If you have any questions about security on our Site and Services, you can contact us. We will make any legally required disclosures of any breach of the security, confidentiality, or integrity of your unencrypted electronically stored “personal data” (as defined in applicable state statutes on security breach notification) to you via email or conspicuous posting on the Site in the most expedient time possible and without unreasonable delay, insofar as consistent with (i) the legitimate needs of law enforcement or (ii) any measures necessary to determine the scope of the breach and restore the reasonable integrity of the data system.
Identity theft and the practice currently known as “phishing” are of great concern to Homey. Safeguarding Personal Information to help protect you from identity theft is a top priority. We do not and will not, at any time, request your credit card information, your Homey Account ID, login password, or national identification numbers in a non-secure or unsolicited email or telephone communication.
10. Data Retention
We take measures to delete your Personal Information or keep it in a form that does not permit identifying you when this information is no longer necessary for the purposes for which we process it, unless we are required by law to keep this information for a longer period. When determining the retention period, we take into account various criteria, such as the type of Services requested by or provided to you, the nature and length of our relationship with you, possible re-enrolment with our Services, the impact on the Services we provide to you if we delete some information from or about you, mandatory retention periods provided by law and the statute of limitations.
11. Your Rights and Choices
- Marketing opt out. If you decide at any time that you no longer wish to receive marketing communications from us, please follow the unsubscribe instructions provided in any of the communications.
- Changing or deleting information. All Members may review, update, correct or delete the Personal Information in their registration profile by contacting us at firstname.lastname@example.org or editing the relevant part of their profile. If you would like us to cancel your Homey Account, please contact us and we will attempt to accommodate your request if we do not have any legal obligation or a legitimate business reason to retain the information contained in your Homey Account. Please note that, if you cancel your Homey Account, any reviews you have posted via the Site will remain publicly viewable via the Site. Please see below for privacy contact information.
- Opt out from cookies. Most Internet browsers automatically accept cookies, but you may be able to change the settings of your browser to stop accepting cookies or to prompt you before accepting a cookie from the websites you visit. If you set your browser to reject cookies, parts of our website may not work for you.
- European privacy rights. If you are located in the EEA or Switzerland, you are entitled to reach out to us via the contact details in this Policy and ask us for an overview of your Personal Information or ask for a copy. In addition, you may request us to update and correct inaccuracies, delete your Personal Information, restrict processing of your Personal Information, or exercise your right to data portability and to easily transfer your Personal Information to another company. In some cases, you may object to the processing of your Personal Information and where we have asked you for your consent to process your Personal Information, you can withdraw it at any time. We always enjoy hearing from you and appreciate your business. Should you nonetheless have unresolved concerns, you have the right to lodge a complaint with the supervisory authority of your residence, place of work or where the incident took place.
12. Cross-Border Data Transfers
13. Changes to this Policy
Because we’re always developing and improving standards of services we provide to you, this Policy may change over time. We will post the new Policy online and we will change the “Last Updated” date. We encourage you to periodically review this page for the latest information on our privacy practices. If any modifications materially change your rights, we will provide notice on the Site or we will notify you by email (sent to the email address specified in your Homey Account).
14. How to Contact Us
Homey is the entity responsible for the processing of your Personal Information. For privacy queries, please contact us at email@example.com or at: Calea Floreasca no. 218, Bucharest, Romania